[pure-silver] Re: PMK was Re: Tri X film versions and sizes

  • From: Ryuji Suzuki <rs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 18:09:25 -0500 (EST)

From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: PMK was Re: Tri X film versions and sizes
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 14:51:22 -0800

>    In developers like Kodak D-7 the Metol appears to
> function as a preservative for the Pyro. D-7 is an ABC type
> Pyro developer but it has much longer life.

Intention and actual function may or may not be the same.  By the time
people came up with solid idea of what causes superadditivity and what
are the favorable conditions for it to happen, no one cased about ABC
and D-7 so I suspect that the description you are referring to is not
necessarily up to date. (and probably won't be updated)

It's a well known fact that developers containing hydroxybenzene alone
have very short life but a bit of Metol decreases oxygen absorption.

But all these are unrelated to the previous point of someone
questioning superadditivity.

--
Ryuji Suzuki
"Keep a good head and always carry a light camera."