[pure-silver] Re: Packard shutters?

  • From: "Gene Johnson" <genej2@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 07:59:36 -0800

Nick,

You can find out a lot about Packards by going to the website of the company
that still makes them.

http://www.hubphoto.com/packard-shutters.htm

Or this from the late Steve (we all miss him)

http://www.skgrimes.com/packard/

Google will bring up a bunch of stuff.

I love Packard shutters.  You can take one completely apart in about a
minute, you can duplicate just about any missing part with normal tools, and
they're just about as bulletproof as things get.  Just requires a different
approach to things.  You just can't have a shutter speed faster than about
1/20.  With a little practice, you can get darn close to 1/20, 1/10 and 1/5
with the pin and anything slower without the pin. There are a lot of really
great barrel lenses out there for very reasonable prices that you couldn't
get anywhere near if they were mounted in a shutter.

I've used a bulb that I found at Target as a ball pump.  There's black
tubing at the auto parts store that will work too. They sell the real deal
at hub photo though, and it's not expensive to buy a bulb and hose from
them.  just connect the wires to whatever kind of synch socket you need. I
have taken sockets out of old cameras and made cables, but Paramount cords
will make whatever you want.  Kinda dear though.