[pure-silver] Re: Packard shutters?

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 22:45:16 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bill Stephenson" <photographica@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, February 16, 2005 9:36 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Packard shutters?

> I, too, like Microdol-X and Tri-X, even more so with
> Plus-X Pan Pro
> (when it was around); I'm a bit confused by the "...no
> longer any..."
> What has changed that makes D-76 as fine-grained as
> Microdol-X?
>
> -Bill
>
> On Tuesday, February 15, 2005, at 07:21  PM, Richard
> Knoppow wrote:
>
>>  At 1:3 it becomes an acutance developer but is no
>> longer any finer grained than D-76 (of no consequence for
>> LF). Actually, I always liked the results I got from
>> Microdol-X.

   When Microdol-X is diluted 1:3 to exagerate edge effects
for acutance it looses its extra-fine-grain property and
also gives full film speed. The older books indicate this is
a function of the sufite concentration but Ryuji Suzuki has
put a doubt in my mind about whether this is the true
explanation. Full strength Microdol-X yields finer grain
than most other developers but looses nearly a stop of
speed. When diluted 1:3 the grain is no finer than D-76 but
it does have a good acutance effect for those who desire it.

---