[pure-silver] Re: Packard shutters?

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 14:31:31 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Nick Zentena" <zentena@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, February 16, 2005 9:25 AM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Packard shutters?

> Okay I'm back. I picked up some hose and a solder bulb.
> With a piece of wire
> in the hole I can squeeze the bulb and it opens. With no
> wire in I squeeze
> and it opens. In neither case does it close. Does this
> mean the hole I made
> in the bulb is too small?
>
> FWIW I ended up with 7/32" ID hose. Close but maybe a
> touch bigger then the
> what was on. 7/32 slips on easily while the original hose
> was a tight fit.
>
> Nick

  You can check the operation by working the air cylender
manually. With no pin the shutter should open when you push
the cylinder up and close again when you push it back down.
When the pin is in there is a toggle effect. Pushing the
cylinder up will cause the shutter to open and close
quickly. Pushing it back down will reset the shutter. It may
be that you are not squeezing hard enough to operate the
toggle or perhaps there is some leakage at the hose fitting.
Make sure you cover the hole in the bulb while squeezing it.
   Its possible there may be something out of place in the
shutter. The mechanism is pretty simple. I've gotten into
Packard shutters a few times to clean them but they are
usually pretty trouble free.

---