[pure-silver] Re: Packard shutters?

  • From: "Gene Johnson" <genej2@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 11:51:17 -0800

You could try a little wd-40, but almost all of them need a good cleaning by
now.  Take the whole thing apart. clean the inside well. You'll probably
need to polish the piston and bore. I chuck up an old drill bit or something
wrapped well in a piece of rag that has been wetted and had some bon ami
applied. Be careful that the drill bit is entirely covered, or use a piece
of dowel or something instead. This will do a nice job of the bore.  Polish
the piston with bon ami and a rag. rinse very well with hot water and dry
with a paper towel.  I sometimes put a tiny bit of wd-40 on the piston now
and again to prevent oxidation of the brass and keep things smooth.  After
cleaning it should work much better.  You can do this.  It's nothing like
trying to disassemble and reassemble a copal or something. Also remember
what I said about the fit of the pin.  A nice snug pin will work much
better.  One that is undersize will give erratic operation.This is a very
simple but clever mechanism.  when you take off the 4 screws that hold the
two halves of the shutter together, you'll be able to work the mechanism by
hand and see how the thing works.  I recommend it. Check for undue wear on
the blades.  Especially at the pivots. Once I got a shutter that had
actually been used to the point of the pivot slot of one of the blades
having a big notch worn in it.  I had to make a new shutter blade out of
thin aluminum.  It took about an hour with scissors and a dremel and the
thing is good as new.  Try that with a Compur.