-=PCTechTalk=- Re: 2 external hard drive quetions plus a new one

  • From: GuitarMan <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 21:54:17 -0400

And I'll add to that a little.  Since the drive was formatted with NTFS, you
will see MUCH less of a space savings than you would with a partition using
FAT or FAT32.  Additionally, compressed drives suffer more from file
corruption.  A single bit (the 1's & 0's that make up files) out of wack and
the file could become unrecoverable.  Without compression, it's much easier
for CheckDisk to fix a corrupted bit.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is that I don't think it's worth the extra
space you would gain, especially considering the size and cost of today's
super large hard drives.

Peace,
GMan