-=PCTechTalk=- Re: frustrated here

  • From: GuitarMan <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2007 00:46:37 -0400

Hi Patricia,
    OUCH!  It's highly probable that deleting an application's folder and
its shortcuts will come back to haunt you.  Nearly every program installed
on a system will also write many settings into the registry that are called
during bootup or whenever a related app or process is started (such as
inserting a black CD or DVD into your drive).  At the very least, I predict
that you'll receive an error message every time you boot or reboot your
system until this is fixed.  the error will say something to the effect that
a file is missing and there may be more than one of those messages.  At
worst, you'll experience STOP errors (WinXP's replacement for the old Blue
Screen Of Death or BSOD) which will stop the computer from functioning at
all until you reboot the machine.

    I also have Nero 7 Premium installed but mine DOES show up in my own Add
or Remove Programs applet.  Still, there is a shortcut under Start > All
Programs > Nero 7 Premium called "Nero ProductSetup" that is designed to,
among other things, uninstall the product properly (including all of those
registry keys that are about to give you headaches).

    The fix for this situation is to, oddly enough, install Nero 7 Premium
back onto the system and then use that "Nero ProductSetup" shortcut to
uninstall it.  This will allow the program to easily wipe out everything
that was installed, including Registry keys and any drivers & other support
files that were copied to various Windows system folders.  It will also
prevent those errors I mentioned in the beginning of this post.
:O)

Peace,
GMan