Re: Oracle's relationships with expert DBAs (and the rest of us mere mortals)

  • From: MVE <mvetmp-ora@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2006 10:10:14 -0700 (PDT)

--- Paul Drake <bdbafh@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Funny.
> I would guess that in most places, the centroid of the mass and axis of
> rotation isn't "Oracle".

Correct.

> Their users probably care about their applications and access to their data
> (and availability of), not on what database, what operating systems on what
> hardware is supporting the backend functionality.

And to deliver "access to their data" and "availability" THEY choose ORACLE and
the shop size grew according to THEIR business requirement nothing else.

To support the "now ORACLE shop" WE (IT) have to choose best practices.  Best
practices vary from shop to shop depending on it's size and business
requirements.

> I don't think that Bill _needs_ to compare anything to anything.
> He merely provided anectodal evidence.

"anectodal" that is.

- Vitaliy