RE: Oracle's relationships with expert DBAs (and the rest of us mere mortals)

  • From: "Bryan Thomas" <bthomas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 16:06:30 -0500

The cost reductions I have seen thrown around are a lot higher than $8k.
One customer I installed Oracle on Linux said the cost of the Dell hardware
was equal to the annual maintenance on their Sun box.  That means new Dell
servers every year at no costs, right:-)

We all know that the true cost is in the maintenance and upgrading of a
system.  Back in my development days, they said the overall cost of a piece
of software, factoring in maintenance, was 10x the development costs.

Linux is cheaper for their budget now.  Most don't see the long term costs.

Bryan