Re: Oracle's relationships with expert DBAs (and the rest of us mere mortals)

  • From: "Niall Litchfield" <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mvetmp-ora@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 21:06:39 +0100

On 5/31/06, MVE <mvetmp-ora@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Time will tell.

Survival of the fittest rules this world -- ORACLE had an edge over the
systems
it replaced it wasn't a fad (fads are short term).  What edge does Linux
on a
PC has over Solaris on a Sun Box?

- Vitaliy

Adequate performance at a hugely reduced cost. Windows has this as well. As a rule of thumb, yes I know!, you can now run at least a hundred concurrent sessions of an erp app on hardware and software costing less than GBP4000 (oracle license excluded). Is it cast iron guaranteed reliable and available, well no. Do you need it to be - probably not.

FWIW mysql,mssql and to some degree postgresql offer the same from the db
side. And we wonder why Oracle's moves are in the enterprise software market
these days.
--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA