Oracle's relationships with expert DBAs (and the rest of us mere mortals)

  • From: "Schultz, Charles" <sac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 08:18:25 -0500

security researcher, security holes, security fixes, security patches
Reference:
http://news.com.com/Oracle+exec+hits+out+at+patch+mentality/2100-7355_3-
6077349.html?tag=nl

It is not my intent to start a snowball of ramblings opinions about
various CSOs, researchers, the "State of Software Development" or
anything else along that line. But reading the many opinions expressed
on Slashdot, CNET and even the CSO's own article
(http://news.com.com/When+security+researchers+become+the+problem/2010-1
071_3-5807074.html?tag=nl). Instead, I was wondering if folks still
really like working with Oracle products, despite the bugs, despite
Metalinks (referring to the recent threads here), despite the security
holes. I got the impression for "OakTable Insights" that those guys
really love their job, and they have been doing it for quite some time.
I consider myself an intermediate DBA, and while I really enjoy learning
new things, the politics surrounding the software really get under my
skin.

I am assuming that a vast majority of you enjoy being a DBA and the
challenges associated with that. How much of that enjoyment is strictly
from Oracle (because of the robust features, ingenious and vast user
community, etc)?

charles schultz
oracle dba
aits - adsd