RE: Oracle's relationships with expert DBAs (and the rest of us mere mortals)

  • From: MVE <mvetmp-ora@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 17:38:07 -0700 (PDT)

--- John Kanagaraj <john.kanagaraj@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> All,
>
> From another Apps-specific list I know of a recent trend where ORACLE
> APPS customers are moving from "UNIX" to "Linux". Issues such as SAN
> compatibility, Upgrade of Linux version (RHAS 2.1 to 3.0 in this case:
> RH will support only a fresh install - ct wants a 2.1 to 3.0 upgrade and
> the SAN vendor does not support RH 4)

One year ago we moved from Solaris 2.6 to 2.9 -- total PROD upgrade time 1
hour.

It was also a fresh install of the OS but we pre-build the /root disc ahead of
time.  From the ORACLE APPS side all that had to be done was relink of both
APPL_TOPs/ORACLE_HOMEs.

Hardware cost is irrelevant in comparison to maintenance and upgrade costs.

> ... tussles between SysAdmins and
> DBAs over patches and versions, etc. are still an issue.

Exactly!  When sh$t hit the fan at 3AM who do you call?

> Many are
> considering RAC with Oracle Apps where it makes sense (??) to "scale
> out" (using RAC) instead of "scale up" (using Big(ger) Iron). Not sure
> how this is going to pan out as we are just beginning to see this
> trend...

This RAC business is just ridiculous.  Larry got upset with Sun over them going
with Siebel and made up a "solution" to "scale out" using Linux.

I can't believe how many people jumped on this wagon!  Putting up bunch of
hardware pieces from different vendors slapped together with interconnects in
front of ***ONE*** shared storage in place of ONE decent BOX from ONE
os/hardware vendor is just insane!  Don't they see that most of the contention
is with IO not CPU?!  This is just crazy.

> ... the human cost of maintenance (and
> associated downtime when something goes wrong) will far outweigh the
> cost savings for an OS / lesser hardware purchase in the long run....

Right on!

- Vitaliy