Re: Oracle's relationships with expert DBAs (and the rest of us mere mortals)

  • From: MVE <mvetmp-ora@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 21:38:43 -0700 (PDT)

--- Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 5/31/06, MVE <mvetmp-ora@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > That hardware cost "reduction" is irrelevant when you figure the rest of
> > the cost to run a fairly decent size shop on ORACLE.
>

> well define fairly decent sized.  I'm firmly in the < 5000 employees < 300
> concurrent user space here.

And what does it say about the size of an ORACLE shop?  Just one thing -- 300
concurrent users.  It doesn't say anything about the:

- AVG number of ACTIVE sessions (v$session.STATUS)?
- daily REDO throughput?
- monthly DATA growth?
- total count of segments?
- total count of objects?
- number of sessions served hourly?
- recovery strategy and how often it's tested?
- number of hosts in PROD?
- number of hosts in TEST/DEV?
- how often TEST/DEV is refreshed with PROD?
- is monitoring deployed? Escalation process?
- number of DBA's SA's?
- is there a central Knowledge Base/SR system?
- where's the hardware? Hosted? COLO? Own DC?

When you figure the cost of operating a decent size shop the initial cost of
hardware is irrelevant.

When a new ORACLE shop is setup people need to look ahead and position
themselves to:

- keep ARCHITECTURE as simple as possible.
- choose as FEW vendors as possible.
- pick the MOST stable OS/HARDWARE.
- get the BEST DBA + SA they can afford.

- Vitaliy