Re: Oracle's relationships with expert DBAs (and the rest of us mere mortals)

  • From: MVE <mvetmp-ora@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 15:56:52 -0700 (PDT)

--- Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Now I agree that linux is a far too volatile base, but compared to apps? -
> come on. So long as you don't do legal patches, security patches and rollups
> you are probably in the same ball park.
>
> Niall Litchfield

I got into this discussion because allegedly there's an APPS shop that ditched
their Sun/Solaris for PC/Linux platform.

No doubt -- ORACLE APPS is an ugly beast but was/is there an alternative?
Linux on the other hand is not only butt-ugly BUT offers NO benefit whatsoever
for an APPS shop.  That was my point.

I still don't see any value in going Linux even for a shop on a tight budget --
this is just a trend.  They shoot themselves in the foot by doing so and will
be paying the price in the next 4 years.

Again ... time will tell.

- Vitaliy