Re: Oracle's relationships with expert DBAs (and the rest of us mere mortals)

  • From: "Paul Drake" <bdbafh@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mvetmp-ora@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2006 12:50:22 -0400

On 6/1/06, MVE <mvetmp-ora@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

--- bill thater <shrekdba@xxxxxxxxx> wrote: > > > > This is NOT only initial cost YOU have to jump through the same hoops every > > time Linux changes their os which is more often than Solaris (we ran on the > > same boxes same os for 7 years). > > hmmmm.... all we've had to do is apply the kernel patches, reboot the > box and bring up the databases. maybe i've been lucky? >

And your ORACLE shop size is?  And you are running what?  You need to
compare
apples to apples.

- Vitaliy

Funny.
I would guess that in most places, the centroid of the mass and axis of
rotation isn't "Oracle".
Their users probably care about their applications and access to their data
(and availability of), not on what database, what operating systems on what
hardware is supporting the backend functionality.

I don't think that Bill _needs_ to compare anything to anything.
He merely provided anectodal evidence.

"Lighten up, Francis".

Paul