Re: Dell-Oracle-Linux: Anyone else run this...because its not working for us!

  • From: Mark Brinsmead <mark.brinsmead@xxxxxxx>
  • To: tomday2@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2005 13:23:03 -0700

Thomas,

Were you also using RAC? Chris Marquez's reports of PERC problems seem to be tied tightly to RAC. (In my mind, "controller-based RAID" and "clusters" don't mix, although I suppose that could -- now -- be mostly chauvinism on my part.) In any event, PERC problems in a cluster are one thing (because I would never use such a configuration myself) but PERC problems in a non-clustered configuration would definitely concern me.

Sorry Chris -- my comments are *not* meant as a criticism of what you have done. Please do not think that they are. (You used a "vendor-certified" configuration, after all, which is normally a very wise -- and conservative -- practice.) My comments about PERC (or any controller-based RAID) and RAC are purely a reflection of my own biases. And, of course, I have *assumed* you were using controller-based RAID (I don't *think* there's an alternative with PowerVault 220's). I know that assumption may be incorrect...

Anybody else out there experiencing problems with PERC and PowerVault? There are rumours and rumbles (at least) about this at one of my client sites, but I hadn't given them much thought until now...

Cheers,
-- Mark

Thomas Day wrote:

Dell replaced our controller. The Dell technician opined as how the
PERC controller probably wasn't up to the load imposed by Oracle. This was in a RAID 0 configuration.

I guess that's what you get when you go with the lowest bidder.

Looking forward to honing my recovery techniques to a fine edge --- again.

-- //www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l