Re: Dell-Oracle-Linux: Anyone else run this...because its not working for us!

  • From: Mark Brinsmead <mark.brinsmead@xxxxxxx>
  • To: cmarquez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 11:22:28 -0700

Interesting. I hadn't considered system hangs caused by flakey hardware / device drivers. This is something I used to encounter a lot (many years ago) with SCO. I can easily imagine Linux suffering similar problems for similar reasons, especially if you start using "exotic" hardware. (I seem to recall a number of horror scenarios with SCO, mostly stemming from using unusual combinations of hardware, like Compaq-proprietary SCSI controllers with token-ring networks...)

Because Linux supports such a huge variety of devices, there's really no way the hardware and device drivers can possible be tested in every combination.

And, of course, a "hung" node is a very different critter from a "failed" node... Yeah, I could envision something like that causing a cluster to hang...

Are such problems unique to Linux, though? I doubt it. But I *could* see them maybe happening more frequently...

Chris, I am curious about this: to what extent did Oracle honour their claims of "unbreakable Linux"? Did they ever "fix" the problem? Did they even try?

Cheers,
-- Mark.

Marquez, Chris wrote:

2.)