Re: Dell-Oracle-Linux: Anyone else run this...because its not working for us!

  • From: ææçé <kuon@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Rodd.Holman@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 22:03:24 +0100

Rodd Holman wrote:

Henry,
I can't answer much to what flakiness you are observing, but you are correct in your assumption about direct connect. You need the crossover cable so that tx goes to rcv and vise-verse. You'll get a network cable unplugged error if you try to direct connect two servers with a straight pass through cable.

Rodd

Henry Poras wrote:

OK, time to demonstate some network ignorance. Our SA says we have straight
through ethernet cables, not crossover (switch has been ordered, just not
here yet). From what I can tell, crossover cables are needed to connect same
devices so the transmit pin from one connects to the receive pin of the
other device. If so, shouldn't server to server direct connections use
crossover? Would straight through work at all? If they both worked, I am
assuming the network flakiness would be observed in either direct connect
and a switch would always be necessary. Correct?

Henry

Some nic now have auto crossover detection, then a straight cable will work. Otherwise, just google on crossover rj45 cable.

But you should not use crossover cable for servers, you will have the following problems:

- Server a will have network down if server b reboot. This can be bad in many situation.
- Some OS can do weird auto detect stuff (like windows), I never read to much about windows network detection, but you can have infinite loop (up down up down...).
- Some gigabit ethernet nic will fail if you use a crossover cable. (they use 8 pin)
- Perhaps something else:)

And having a switch give you the folowing advantages:
- Statistics ability.
- More than two servers.
- Security management. (sometimes you might need to cut the link for any reason, but often security, and being able to type a command is far more convenient than running to the datacenter)
- Only things in my head right now.

Regards

Kuon