Re: Dell-Oracle-Linux: Anyone else run this...because its not working for us!

  • From: David Barbour <david.barbour@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: alaxsxaq@xxxxxxxxx, Oracle_L <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 07:08:50 -0800 (PST)

Glenn,

Just a quick question - are you using the Dell|EMC Clariion for SANs or the
PV220 storage systems?  Are they fibre or copper connections and if fibre -
Emulex or Qlogic HBAs?

Glenn Stauffer <alaxsxaq@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
We run Dell 2650's with Redhat Linux for our OAS systems.  These boxes work
very well for commodity boxes but the storage systems are fairly basic with
internal drives in a mirrored configuration.  We've had many problems with two
Dell SANs that we use for non-Oracle applications (email; central file
storage).  Dell has been quick to get in to replace failed hardware, but we've
had problems with the automated support stuff not working and Dell has been
just plain terrible helping troubleshoot performance problems with one of our
SANs.  I'm about to buy new database servers with shared storage and Dell
doesn't make the cut.  You will pay (a little/lots) more for HP, IBM, or Sun
hardware, but Dell's hardware and support doesn't compete as far as I'm
concerned.

--Glenn