[opendtv] Re: OTA

  • From: "Albert Manfredi" <bert22306@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2012 05:47:18 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

Are you serious. Do you know what FOTFL means?

I know what it means, Craig. I thought you didn't understand how the wireless links worked. Otherwise, why would you make such an irrelevant comment?

If you bring cabled broadband into your home, then transfer to wireless within the home, what's the big whoop about getting decent reception indoors? The point was, wireless from outside the home, even cellular, is not always so reliable indoors. Get it? I get ATSC indoors, but not 3G indoors. For instance.

To compete with this broadcasters will need an RF system
that can do the same. That is why I was Falling On The Floor
Laughing about your defense of ATSC.

And I'm laughing right back at you, for your confusion. Broadcasters already have an RF system they can AND DO use, that can do the same. There's no need to invent anything new. It's called 3G or 4G, or regular broadband that people can send to WiFi. Of course, none of these are going to be FOTA, because the infrastructure is too labor intensive.

For an outdoor system, ever heard of Vcast, for instance? And for an indoor wireless, how do you think I watch my Internet TV?

ATSC and ATSC M/H are much lower cost systems than cellular, which is their advantage. If CE vendors don't support M/H in wireless handheld devices, it's only because they want to dig deeper into your pockets, being in cahoots with the wireless telcos. Get it? Do you think you're being clever by encouraging that?

Broadcasters can share the infrastructure with two-way cellular, and deploy in-network PVR functions, or they can pay the telcos for that service, to distribute their content for a fee. Wow, they're already doing this!