[opendtv] Re: MPAA wants to stop DVRs from recording some movies

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2008 07:26:51 -0400

At 12:03 PM -0400 6/27/08, Cliff Benham wrote:
David Broberg wrote:

Wow, this discussion has gone off the deep end.
Dear Mr. Broburg:

There is a vast difference between putting on evening clothes, going out to dinner and then to the theater to enjoy the performance of a play, a film or an opera for which I have purchased tickets, voluntarily entering into an 'agreement' to observe the 'willing suspension of disbelief' and enjoying the performance... AND--- Sitting at home in shorts and a t-shirt enjoying the recording of a play or an opera or a film I have purchased for my own enjoyment at my convenience, pausing the show for bathroom, food and drink breaks, repeating scenes and watching it more than once if I see fit to do so.

The former theatrical experience is completely at the behest of the producers and I must willingly abide by the conventions applicable to such performances.

However,

The later is a completely different experience, is completely at MY behest and convenience since I have paid for the ability to watch or not, when and if I see fit, as many times as I wish, without further interference from the seller of the program or recording.

Laying down rules in an attempt to tell me when and how I can watch something in my own home is an invasion of privacy which I will not abide.

Cliff Benham

Sorry Cliff, but David is correct. The studios have the right to establish the rules for use of their products when you enter an explicit contract.

As with any service, you have the right to simply say NO.

This is how consumers "manage" the marketplace. Companies that make it difficult to consume their products may suffer at the hands of the marketplace, as Sony Music did when they tried to put copy protection on new audio CD releases.