[opendtv] Re: MPAA wants to stop DVRs from recording some movies

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 22:16:46 -0400

They are basically saying their business model would improve with more control over distribution. I don't blame them for trying. ;-)

- Tom

John Shutt wrote:
Dan,

The argument made by the MPAA was clear to me. They assert that having first-run movies offered by MVPDs will encourage the purchase of HDTVs. Purchasing an HDTV at this period in time will almost guarantee that the HDTV will also be equipped with an ATSC tuner, thus getting ATSC equipment into more homes.

Whether they use the ATSC tuner on a regular basis is beyond the scope of the MPAA argument. ;^)

John

----- Original Message ----- From: <dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx>

"MPAA argues that, in addition to getting first-run movies to the public
sooner, giving movie studios a break on this issue could also aid the
DTV transition. The enhanced service "will encourage the purchase of
HDTV sets by consumers, and thereby ensure that a greater number of
citizens have the necessary equipment to receive broadcast digital
programming by February 17, 2009.""

I fail to see how it will help the DTV transition when the release is to
MVPDs.  Someone care to explain?  If it does anything, it seems it would
only draw people away from OTA to MVPD.

Tom Barry                  trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx