[opendtv] Re: MPAA wants to stop DVRs from recording some movies

  • From: John Willkie <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 10:13:40 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

'helping the DTV transition" seems like a stretch -- hunting for a 'news peg.'

But, exactly what "right" would this infringe on?

And, was this right granted by God or Satan (arguably both create human rights) or is it one granted by government (a civil right).  And, could you point me to the definitive link where this right is specified?

I think you might find that you have a limited right to view content through a MVPD, and sometimes, you have the right to store that content, although in many cases this is actually more rights than granted by the distributor to the MVPD.

Want to hear a fun one?  A nieghbor of mine without any IT experience, using only an Internet connection, has replaced WindowsXP on his laptop, first with obutu, then SUSE Linux.  He saw the new Indiana Jones movie (I didn't ask if it was a camcorder version) less than 10 days after release.  And, he hasn't paid for anything except his share of my 1.8 mb/sec Internet connection.