[opendtv] Re: MPAA wants to stop DVRs from recording some movies

  • From: John Willkie <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 10:05:37 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

I've already addressed where fair use helps, so I won't repeat that.

As for your question, the issue "is in play" and I don't think any court of competent jurisdiction has ruled on whether time-shifting is licit or illicit. I'd also offer that no consumer should bring such a case, because they would lose what they already have.

Yes, a content owner/distributor can signal that you cannot record content, and many devices will not do this when CGMS-A signals such.

Think of "fair use" as the IPR equivalent of an "entrapment" defense.  It might work at trial, but it won't keep you out of court.