[opendtv] Re: What is the Value of Media If I Can't Watch It?

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2008 07:56:42 -0400

At 5:02 PM -0700 6/27/08, dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx wrote:
\However, PPV and VOD through the MVPD distribution models don't give us the convenience I need. For instance, once you watch the movie you are done. My wife always falls asleep the last half-hour so there is no point in purchasing something you can't go back to.

I don't go to the movie theater often, especially at night because I tend to fall asleep in a dark theater after dinner.

Should I get a refund because I fell asleep?

For what it is worth, giving the MPVDs an early viewing window for new titles is going to help grow VOD as a viable distribution medium relative to DVD.

DVD is the medium that is threatened, and the studios understand this, and may even be trying to kill it...

Consumers like the convenience too much and it is too easy to share a DVD.

The industry is trying to move to methods of distribution that parallel the movie theater experience, i.e. pay per use. VOD and Internet download with short viewing windows is the trend.