[opendtv] Re: MPAA wants to stop DVRs from recording some movies

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 20:27:06 -0400

Adam Goldberg wrote:

> Sorry, I have no idea where FCC 00-341 makes any discussion
> of CGMS.

FCC 00-341 is the document I could find that explicitly differentiates the copy
protection differences the FCC sees, between FOTA and MVPD distribution media.
And, in the quotes I provided, relates these back to the Betamax decision and
fair use, which I addressed in my recent post under that subject heading.

Even though it's hard to see, in the actual Betamax decision, where the Supreme
Court made any such distinction. (Although the Appeals Court had tried to.)

CGMS is merely the vehicle that controls copying. It doesn't need to be
mentioned explicitly by the FCC or by the Courts.

> I think it's fair enough to say that CE companies take the
> risk of content industry lawsuits into account when making
> determinations about product features.  But that's a LONG way
> from being blasé or not taking account of the Sony decision.

When a manufacturer states that being "conservative," i.e. on the side of not
permitting copying, is his attempt at "trying to do the right thing," I
consider that to be blasé. Maybe that's the wrong word.

> Now then, I really don't understand "implementing a Supreme
> Court decision" or "ignore Supreme Court decisions".

How about, "building products that respect the Supreme Court decision," then?