[opendtv] Re: Demand for free DTV rising in Australia

  • From: "Bob Miller" <robmxa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2007 13:11:05 -0400

On 7/2/07, Manfredi, Albert E <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Dale Kelly wrote:

> No argument here...but that didn't address my point, which
> was that the US has RF congestion in the broadcast band
> unlike any other country. This condition is mostly
> responsible for our IM problems and therefore requires a
> more robust receiver front in design - relative to other
> countries.

Probably so. And Stephen Birkill's post would agree with you.>
Editorial:

A lot of influential people in your business have become conditioned to
throw up their arms and attibute all reception problems to 8-VSB. Which
has become the perfect recipe for remaining in catatonic state.

8-VSB is here to stay. So if we can blame all reception problems on
8-VSB, we don't have to do anything. That's why I think it's imperative
to point out when reception problems are *not* related to modulation.

On the other hand, tuner designs that are well known to work *can* be
implemented with 8-VSB demods, and have been with excellent results (my
presumption of the LG prototype in Mark Schubin's apartment).

The recent FCC tuner test only showed that problems remain even though
the solutions are well known. It's frustrating to see this being the
case, and even more frustrating to think that many influential people in
your business are already drawing the wrong conclusions. "ATSC is the
wrong choice. We can't make DTT work right."

Bert

They are drawing the right conclusions IMO. While we can make ATSC
work better it is not the right choice to begin with. AFAIK all known
or postulated improvements to 8-VSB will leave it still far inferior
to other modulation which themselves are being improved.

The cost of having an inferior modulation has been very high to date
and will continue so. The cost of switching to a better modulation
would be far lower now and would continue to be lower for the entire
life of the modulation.

Without some major but unknown breakthrough with 8-VSB it will not
match current let alone improved modulations in use and such unknown
and unknowable future breakthroughs may happen, are as likely to
happen, to other modulations that are already superior.

Bob Miller