[opendtv] Re: Demand for free DTV rising in Australia

  • From: "Bob Miller" <robmxa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 12:11:38 -0400

If the horses are 8-VSB, MPEG2, and Interlace running against COFDM
based modulations, MPEG4 or the latest from ON2 and progressive what
can I say? It seems pretty obvious to me.

Some races are fixed. Sometimes the best horse isn't allowed to run.

But this is hardly a race. My arguments have always been that 8-VSB,
MPEG2 and interlace should never have been used at all. They will all
go away it is just at what cost in time and money.

In 1999 I proposed that ON2's product be used with a generic chip to
allow upgrades and that the US should allow a COFDM based modulation,
DVB-T. And I was a fan of progressive over interlaced.

I think history will show that those were the way to go and that the
path the US took only led to delay and waste. I don't think free OTA
DTV will long survive after the transition with 8-VSB.

It may come after it is realized that most receivers are now, say 7-8
years, capable of receiving both advanced COFDM modulations and 8-VSB
so that broadcasters will be allowed to use either. In the meantime
OTA DTV will languish in the sub 5% of households region.

Bob Miller

On 6/28/07, John Golitsis <jgolitsis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Horses race for money.  Are you sure your horses are doing all right?