[opendtv] Re: Barriers eroding to LCD TV adoption

  • From: Bob Miller <bob@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2004 10:33:31 -0400

John Shutt wrote:

> [...]
That seems to be another mistake. The boxes as sold in WalMart in other
cities will not work with USDTV until they have been physically modified.

>>Clearly Hisense is investing in their brand name. But it is also
>>clear that they need to sell the inventory, and USDTV is not getting
>>enough subscribers to consume the existing inventory.
>>

>Judging from the fact that the Wal*Mart website shows that the Hisense boxes
>are currently out of stock tells me that Hisense has either sold out their
>initial run, or are reserving them for USDTV market areas.  Further, I do
>believe that Hisense is waiting for the LG/Zenith 5G chipset before they
>crank up production again.
>
>I am also wondering if the next batch of Hisense/USDTV boxes will only
>operate with FTA signals with a subscription.  Just because Hisense dumped
>their current gen boxes for what is essentially cost does not mean that this
>will be their future business plan.
>
>BTW, does anyone in a USDTV market know if you can purchase the receiver at
>Wal*Mart for $99 without actually signing a contract in the store with
>USDTV?  Will Wal*Mart charge you the $199 price in USDTV market cities if
>you refuse to sign a contract?  Just curious.

I don't think you can buy a Hisense receiver for $99 anywhere. It is
either $19.95 in Salt Lake with subscription or $198.76 in any other
city. These are two different receivers. The ones sold in Salt Lake
AFAIK are ONLY for USDTV. I don't think you can buy a non modified unit
there and with the modification these units will not work with free OTA
channels with out being turned on by USDTV.

The answer is a phone call away. They didn't know this morning and were
going to find out but I said forget it.

Bob Miller