[opendtv] Re: Barriers eroding to LCD TV adoption

  • From: Bob Miller <bob@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2004 10:23:28 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

>At 10:31 AM -0400 8/5/04, Bob Miller wrote:
>

>>Your math is wrong. USDTV sells the USDTV "version" of the box directly
>>to the customer or through WalMart for $19.95. If you want a second one
>>you pay by the month $4.95. Who is subsidizing what at the moment I
>>don't know. I do know that as sold the units in non USDTV markets will
>>not work with USDTV, they will have to be physically modified. Whether
>>WalMart sells two versions, one at $198.76 and one at $19.95, in USDTV
>>markets I don't know.
>>

>It is not my math. It is the reality of the pricing for the units.
>
>You pay $99 for each box at WalMart when you subscribe to USDTV. You
>THEN pay $19.95 per month for the first box and $4.95 per month for
>each additional box. This is clearly detailed in the terms outlined
>on the website.
>
>I seriously doubt that any physical modification of the boxes sold in
>markets not currently served by USDTV will be required. But it is
>likely that you will need to add a smart card to activate the
>subscription service when USDTV does offer service in your market.
>

>>It is my opinion that Hisense is willing to sell these units at $198.76
>>for whatever reason with no USDTV relationship. Evidence being  that
>>this is a non compatible unit with USDTV without modification. I say
>>this because that is what they told me and because I think it is the
>>beginning of a marketing campaign for Hisense to get their name known in
>>the US.
>>
>>How much money they are making or if they are making any, no idea. To
>>many factors to consider. Will know more on the 14th.
>>

>Clearly Hisense is investing in their brand name. But it is also
>clear that they need to sell the inventory, and USDTV is not getting
>enough subscribers to consume the existing inventory.
>
>Regards
>Craig

Mark,

We are just going to play ping pong here with this. Give them a call.
They are more articulate on the phone than on their web site.

Its $19.95 at WalMart in Salt Lake City and it will be free by spring IMO.

This is what we wanted to offer in 2000, it makes sense and it will
become the norm over the next 24 months in the US.