[opendtv] Re: Barriers eroding to LCD TV adoption

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2004 09:11:59 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "Craig Birkmaier" <craig@xxxxxxxxx>

> I seriously doubt that any physical modification of the boxes sold in
> markets not currently served by USDTV will be required. But it is
> likely that you will need to add a smart card to activate the
> subscription service when USDTV does offer service in your market.

The boxes sold in non-USDTV markets are clearly labeled "USDTV Ready" and
the website says that when USDTV shows up in your market, you would be ready
to activate the service.

> Clearly Hisense is investing in their brand name. But it is also
> clear that they need to sell the inventory, and USDTV is not getting
> enough subscribers to consume the existing inventory.

Judging from the fact that the Wal*Mart website shows that the Hisense boxes
are currently out of stock tells me that Hisense has either sold out their
initial run, or are reserving them for USDTV market areas.  Further, I do
believe that Hisense is waiting for the LG/Zenith 5G chipset before they
crank up production again.

I am also wondering if the next batch of Hisense/USDTV boxes will only
operate with FTA signals with a subscription.  Just because Hisense dumped
their current gen boxes for what is essentially cost does not mean that this
will be their future business plan.

BTW, does anyone in a USDTV market know if you can purchase the receiver at
Wal*Mart for $99 without actually signing a contract in the store with
USDTV?  Will Wal*Mart charge you the $199 price in USDTV market cities if
you refuse to sign a contract?  Just curious.

John Shutt