[opendtv] Re: 1080p @ 60 is Next?

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 23:24:00 -0400

The human eye can recognize when the higher frequencies are missing from an image, at least on familiar scenes where they are expected as texture. The usual comment seems to be that it makes the image "soft".

I sometimes watch the Countdown news show on analog cable and it looks horrible on my front projector with a 4' high image so I usually size it to a small rectangle in the corner of my computer screen while web browsing. It looks much better that way, not to mention being able to use the rest of the screen.

Likewise I sometimes also watch a couple shows that are available only on the CW channel, a 480i digital sub-channel of ABC here. For that I usually size the window to take up about half of my screen. Anything larger and the softer picture becomes distracting to me (as an HD snob).

I've done a couple experiments on upscaling images where adding some random noise seems to help a bit after you upscale to more than twice the original number of pixels. It has to be added after scaling, not in the source. I'm also currently playing with writing a scaler that just adds semi-random noise comprised of only the missing high frequencies after scaling.

Anyway, a "soft" picture becomes much more annoying after you become used to HDTV.

- Tom

Bob Miller wrote:
Just happen to have at the moment an ED and HD 42" set of plasmas and
the same make 50" plasma. At 8-10 feet no one so far can tell the
difference between the ED and HD before you tell them. After of course
they go closer and squint a bit and say of course.

One other thing, if looking at a same make 50 and 42" plasma next to
each other with the same source the 42" often is seen as sharper, more
color saturated and better or it will be said that the larger screen
seems soft or washed out.

Bob Miller