[opendtv] Re: 1080p @ 60 is Next?

  • From: Ron Economos <k6mpg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 03 May 2007 14:30:46 -0700

There's some pretty serious talk about having
a "professional" (no HDCP) version of HDMI
for 1080p@60 (since 1080p@60 already
works on HDMI).

1080p@60 H.264 encoders and decoders are
just around the corner. Should be able to buy one
in 2008.

ATSC will be left in the cold unless they adopt H.264
for the primary program.

Ron

dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx wrote:

Ron states:

"1080p@60 (or 50) emission is next. IMHO, it will be here
much sooner than many folks think."

But I question that because there is a lot going against it. First, there isn't a lot of production equipment that can do it. It also requires two cables for the 3Mb/s to interconnect the production equipment rather than a single cable. I don't think ATSC can transmit it and I don't see other transmissions formats adapting outside resolutions (at least not at this point, probably because of the production setting). I looked at a dual-link switcher with eight inputs and the price was over $120K. I don't know of any professional production equipment that offers support of 1080p@60 except some cameras and projectors. Everything in between is lacking.

I really wish that there was a complete 1080p@60 production chain because if there was, I would build it in our new facility to open in June 2008. If I am incorrect and there is equipment to complete the production chain PLEASE CORRECT ME QUICKLY so I can plan for it!

Now if the manufacturers would develop a fiber link I/O of all the equipment instead of coaxial, 1080p@60 and 3Mb/s would be a piece of cake.

I see a production chain for 2K and 4K media developing before 1080p@60 based on what I saw at this year's NAB. I could be completely our to lunch here and I would love to hear feedback from the experts!

Dan Grimes