[opendtv] Re: 1080p @ 60 is Next?

  • From: dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 4 May 2007 10:26:47 -0700

dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx writes:
"It also requires two cables for the 3Mb/s to interconnect the production
equipment rather than a single cable."

Steve Lampen Wrote:

"Belden already tests three of its cables to to 4.5 GHz to cover  1080p/60.

(Clock is 1.5GHz, 3rd harmonic is 4.5GHz.) They are 1694A,  1505A, and
1855A and
each is printed that they are tested to 4.5 GHz."

But it really isn't about the cable.  Even if the cable's bandwidth could
go to infinity, there are no standards that have 1080p@60 on a single wire.
SMPTE 292M calls for 1.5Gb/s over one cable and SMPTE 424M calls for 3GB/s
over a dual link.  I am unaware of a standard for 3Gb/s over one cable.
However, I don't have access to the SMPTE standards, so perhaps I am
mistaken.

Ron spoke of a potential professional HDMI link for 1080p@60.  Does anyone
have any information on it?

I think the next interconnect should go to fiber because the potential
bandwidth is much greater than for copper.  There are other issues I
realize, but most have been satisfactorily addressed.  I am not sure if the
processing power is there yet for the equipment, but the fiber interconnect
is now easily capable of 1080p@60 4:4:4(:4).

By the way, I heard that there is to be a new multichannel audio transport
stream.  Does anyone know the proposed standard and if information is
available?

Dan Grimes