[opendtv] Re: 1080p @ 60 is Next?

  • From: Olivier Houot <olho_avatar_i@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 01:41:50 +0200

John Shutt wrote :

----- Original Message ----- From: "Olivier Houot" <olho_avatar_i@xxxxxxxxxx>

The 1080 format is designed to be close to the eye resolution limit under a 30 ° angle which means we should be able to perceive the increased sharpness.

Based on what?  An arbitrary screen size viewed at an arbitrary distance?

I probably don't get your meaning,but...

An average 1/60 of a degree angular resolution for the eye, means 1800 horizontal pixels for a 30 ° viewing angle. With some margin and the choice of a 16/9 aspect ratio we get the 1920x1080 format. The angle provides a fixed ratio between screen width and distance, so there is only one arbitrary parameter left. If you choose the screen size as the variable, then studies show that for psychological confort it is not so arbitrary as you need to set it to a big value, but still within "acceptable" limits for the famous "average" home.

The 30° value itself was a result of NHK studies showing it as lower limit for a sense of immersion to kick in.