[opendtv] Re: 1080p @ 60 is Next?

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 10:34:47 -0400

At 12:27 PM -0400 5/17/07, Tom Barry wrote:
Craig Birkmaier wrote:
 Olivier is correct about the 30 degree field in terms of the immersion
 effect. But there is more. I can sit at a high resolution computer
 display (say a 30" Apple cinema display that exceeds 1080P resolution)
 so that it covers 30degrees of my viewing field. Unfortunately at this
 close viewing distance the immersion effect does not work. We typically
 need a really big display viewed at a distance greater than 15 feet for
 it to work properly.

Craig -

Can you provide a reference for that 15' number? It seems about twice what I would have guessed.

In the context of the immersion effect I cannot provide a reference, other than my own personal experience. I will concede that it could be closer, but not half.

From a practical point of view I can cite sources that have done preferred viewing distance studies using a wide range of screen sizes, where the viewer chooses the most comfortable viewing distance.

The RAI study found that viewers would not choose to sit three picture heights from a display until the screen size exceeds 100 inch diagonal, at a viewing distance of 17 feet.

I suspect that immersion can occur on smaller screens at somewhat shorter viewing distances. I also suspect that there is an issue of "comfort" that comes into play. The ability to focus on something that is "near infinity" versus the close viewing field may be a factor, especially with respect to eye fatigue.