[opendtv] Re: 1080p @ 60 is Next?

  • From: "Hoffmann, Hans" <hoffmann@xxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 08:32:44 +0200

Dear Mr. Houot,

this is a very interesting contribution to the discussion.

The reality is however that European homes will not cope the size of the
screen you propose.
Any broadcaster has to consider business aspects such as maximum needed
bandwidth for transmission (= money to pay). Consequently it important to
consider the "major population display size" in consumers homes. Any serious
broadcasters has also to consider that the major population are not "geeks".

If you buy some reports of GfK, displayserach etc. then you will find that
the major sales of display are in area of ~ 37 inch diagonal with an trend
to ~ 42 inch. The display we used with 50 and 52 inch were already above the
majority. We cannot expect that homes will become bigger, thus the space for
large displays (or even a wall/screen for projector systems) is rather
limited.

We have also seen that the TV experience with good HDTV on the screens we
used in the tests makes a difference to SDTV and in fact is appreciated by
the assessors. Please send me the scientific data which you have used for
your statements. This should be interesting.

In conclusion, I have to say that your arguments do not hold against the
results of the tests for TV broadcasting applications.

Hans Hoffmann

This email and any files transmitted with it
are confidential and intended solely for the
use of the individual or entity to whom they
are addressed.
If you have received this email in error,
please notify the system manager.
This footnote also confirms that this email
message has been swept by the mailgateway