[modeleng] Re: Silversolder

  • From: fernj1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2005 10:04:55 -0600 (GMT-06:00)

    Ah - I guess it is our common language that has got us talking at
cross-purposes.   When I said "..two bits welded together. ..."   I
really meant "..two pieces welded together. ..."   In other words - two
pieces of leaded steel.    It seems there is still some confusion as to
whether it is possible.   When I say " ..welded.." I had in mind MMA  (I
believe that is the official abbreviation for normal stick welding using
an electric arc).

    I hope that has put everyone on the same wavelength.  Cheers,
          Roger Mason,  in brighter St. Agnes.

Roger, I don't know if I have ever welded two pieces of leaded steel together
or not, but we regularly torch weld leaded 12L14 steel to 1018.  This is done
hundreds of times every year as we produce steel ramrods for Dixie Gun Works. I
will have to weld a couple of pieces together when I return from church and see
how successful it is.  Sometimes we will get tiny air bubbles in the weld
joints, but these can be gone over again to seal them.  Electric arc welding
will not work, at least not for me, but there may be alloy rods available that
will allow arc welding 12L14 steel and its kindred.  That I don't know, but
torch welding is not at all difficult to do successfully.

Jesse in Troy where we got the first rain in weeks last night.  Almost one
inch!!  Yay!