[modeleng] Welding Advice

  • From: Roger Mason <roger.g3tdm@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2005 15:34:10 +0000

Hi Steve,

> any other help with welding please do not hesitate to ask.

   Since you put it so nicely ...

   I am still installing my recently acquired Bridgeport mill.   Like
all second hand Bridgeports that I have seen there are a number of
dimples in the table,  where someone has been a bit over-enthusiastic in
drilling holes.   I would like to fill these dimples and am torn between
drilling them deeper and tapping them and screwing in a screw and filing
or machining flush  or  filling the dimple with some weld metal.   I
have a simple DIY arc welder.   Would the welding route be a reasonable
way to go?   If so what sort of stick should I be looking for?   Is
there any likelyhood of introducing distortion of the whole table due to
the localised heat of welding?

      Cheers,

         Roger Mason,  in a drying St. Agnes.