[modeleng] Re: Welding Advice

  • From: "JESSE LIVINGSTON" <fernj1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2005 17:25:27 -0600

> Hi Roger
> If the bed is made from cast iron you could use 1.2mm dissimilar rods  but
the localised distortion and the normalising would mean the bed would need
to be machined and trued I personally would go with the epoxy filler I have
used this and if it is the same stuff you can tap it and machine it as
though it was metal the only thin I would say against it is the need for the
surfaces to be clinically clean.
> Hope this helps
> Steve

A good cleaning with brake cleaner with perchlorethane or trichloethane  in
it will remove all traces of oil so the epoxy will stick.  Here in the
States, the material of choice for this would be "J.B. Weld®" and it may be
available in Old Blighty as well.

Jesse the redneck