[modeleng] Re: Silversolder

  • From: fernj1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2005 06:34:24 -0600 (GMT-06:00)

Hi Jesse

Very interesting!  When you say it "broke in the joint" do you mean that it=
=20
was the silver solder itself that suffered the tensile failure? i.e. was=20
there silver solder visible on both halves of the fractured joint?

Regards
Ron Head
Oxford UK

Ron, indeed there is a coating/plating of silversolder on the faces of each=
 broken piece.  If I think of it, later today I will photograph the broken/=
bent test pieces and stick them on "Photobucket" where they can be accessed=
.  Right now my email "Outlook Express" is having problems so I am having t=
o use "Web Mail" to send and receive.

I had the pieces "choked up" pretty close to the vise jaws when I started w=
hacking on them so the stress was quite high.  I really thought the ends I =
had scarfed to 45=B0 would hold, but they did not.

Jesse in Tennessee