[modeleng] Re: Silversolder

  • From: "JESSE LIVINGSTON" <fernj1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 20:19:42 -0600

Gents,

We were discussing and cussing the advisability of silver soldering leaded
steels so I took it upon myself to experiment with some 12L14   7/32" round
stock.  Ground the ends square on two pieces and silver soldered them
together in a butt joint.  When cool, I stuck one end in my vise (vice in
Old Blighty and Oz) and proceeded to hammer the protruding end to see how
far I could bend it before it broke.  Got it bent about 30 to 45 degrees
before it broke in the joint.  Then took some 1018 steel rod and tried the
same test.  It broke at about the same number of degrees (estimated).  I
then ground two pieces of 12L14 at 45° angle, butted them together and
soldered that joint.  Bent it the same way and it bent a few degrees more
before it too broke in the joint.  From these primitive tests I would say
that the 12L14 held as well as the 1018 alloy did.  Possibly other leaded
alloys than 12L14 might not hold silver solder as well, but I doubt it.

I would post photos, but no way to do so here on "modeleng."  I wonder if I
could put them on "Photobucket" and anyone who wanted to do so could access
the test results?  I will check that out tomorrow, but eyes getting tired
now so will hit the sack soon.  Gonna have to quit getting up before 5AM
maybe?  Actually it is a "dry eye" problem so I will stick in some
artificial tears to ease the burning sensation. Hummmmmm,  I don't recall
having this problem 50 years ago. [:>)

Jesse the Red Neck Tennesseean