[modeleng] Re: briggs and stratton

  • From: "Wilfried Vermeiren" <vermeiren.wilfried@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 08:31:36 +0100

Hi,
The tube which runs from the carburettor over the cylinder to the other side
is the breather outlet. If you open the valve box cover you will find that
the cover is in fact a box containing a breather valve. Be careful there is
a joint paper between engine block and breather box.
It you wobble the box you should be able to hear the valve clicking if not
it is stuck by oil coming from the sump. This is a common problem if these
type of engines are turned on their sides. If you have to turn your mower
over , always spark plug up.
Although it look like the box is sealed it is possible to bend the clips
open, take care for the seal paper, and clean the sponge inside and wash out
the valve in petrol. Remounting takes care of this bit.
Although an engine will run with a dirty breather it gives rise to several
problems, Since the tube runs to the carburettor it not only vents air but
also oil which makes the close by air filter sponge dirty, as well as the
carburettor and entering the cylinder ads to the carbonising of head, spark
plug and piston.
On the other hand if the valve is blocked in a closed position then pressure
in the sump will rise on the downward stroke op the piston and oil will be
forced along the sides of the piston with the same carbonising result.
Also a clean working sump valve will aid a lot in the easy starting, les
resistance, of the engine.
Regards
Wilfried Vermeiren
http://users.skynet.be/modelbouw.wilfried