[modeleng] Re: briggs and stratton

  • From: "JESSE LIVINGSTON" <fernj1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 16:02:13 -0600

Patrick,

The tube of which you speak is a sort of positive crankcase ventilation
system in that any vapours in the crankcase are sucked into the carb and
mixed with incoming fuel mixture.  Before our benovalent government and its
EPA got control of everything, the vapour was simply vented to the
atmosphere where only in California was it determined that it was a serious
hazard!

B&S finally got wise to the "auto -choke" (which never worked correctly) and
put a rubber bulb fuel injector pump on their engines to aid in starting.  I
have two B&S engines on mowers, and one has the bulb and the other the
useless auto choke.

You are going to be running close with the engine/generator set up since
1,500 watts equals 2  horsepower according to my figures (Watts divided by
746).  But unless you need the full 1500 watts, you should be OK.  Good luck
on your project.

I needed 3 phase 220 volts 3 PH to run my Delta/Rockwell 14" lathe so I made
a phase converter from a spare 1-1/2hp 220 v motor and a large capacitor I
got from my old 5 ton air conditioning system.  I really needed at a least 2
hp motor to get the lathe started properly so sometimes I have to help it
get started turning.  Once the lathe warms up, all works OK.

Jesse in Tennessee