[modeleng] Boilers - again

  • From: The Sheppard Residence <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 09:40:52 +0000

A while ago there was a thread on boilers in this group particularly
about stainless steel.v.copper.

I said that Mike Palmer (Station Road Steam) had an article about
boilers a few months ago, but I couldn't find it.

Well his archive has re-appeared, and I hope he doesn't mind, but I've
repeated his "axioms" on boilers below:

Cheers

Peter

Museum quality engines are all in museums

If it hasn't got a boiler certificate the boiler's dead

If it has got a boiler certificate the boiler may well be dead (boilers
fail in service, not on the mantelpiece. If they're being used, they're
probably in ticket, at which point they become a dead engine with a
current boiler certificate)

If you're not allowed to go and see an engine before buying, it's either
nicked or in a lot of trouble

Caveat emptor, as they say.