[modeleng] Driver training (was Accidents)

  • From: "Ron Head" <ron.head@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2006 11:35:30 +0100

Hi Alan

This sounds a bit like the scheme operated by my club, except that we don't
expect the training to take a year - it can be done in a single day if the
driver is already sufficiently experienced.  We also don't make a log book
compulsory.

Far from being put off by all this, most of our members (especially the
junior ones) are keen to be properly trained and passed out, because they
get a certificate.  This proves their credentials if they go visiting
another club, so the certificate is seen as a worthwhile goal in itself.

We reciprocate by allowing visiting drivers to take part in our public
running days, providing they can prove that they are passed to run at their
"home" track.  One of our drivers will do a couple of laps with the visiting
driver, to make sure he is familiar with our signalling, after that he is
free to enjoy himself.

Regards
Ron Head
City of Oxford SME