[modeleng] Re: Driver training (was Accidents)

  • From: "Ron Head" <ron.head@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2006 22:34:27 +0100

Hi Ian

Agreed, if someone is already familiar with model locos, he doesn't need
training on how to operate one.  However, he may be ignorant of the club's
operating rules, and he may not know where to find things, how to turn
supplies on and off, what the signals mean, who to contact for advice, or
what to do in an emergency.  If someone can satisfy all the conditions,
issuing a certificate is a mere formality.

When our certification scheme was introduced, one or two of the older hands
took umbrage at being deemed "incompetent until proved competent" but they
warmed to the idea once they realised that, for them at least, it was a
formality.

Having said this, I'm always surprised at the number of people who acquire
an engine at auction, (or perhaps through inheritance), and haven't got a
clue what to do with it once they've got it home!  Every club has a fair
sprinkling of cheque book engineers, hence the need for training and
assessment.

Regards
Ron