[modeleng] Re: Driver training (was Accidents)

  • From: "Dave Beaman" <davebeaman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 17:05:09 +0100

I have sat and watched this subject for a little while and thought of
keeping quiet. However, if you look at any preserved railway, you will find
that it doesn't matter if you own a fleet of locos, you still have to pass
the required exams to be able to drive them on that particular railway. If
your loco visits another railway and you are a qualified driver on the
first, you can then only drive under supervision, with the permission of the
railways rostered driver. Ok, our hobby is smaller and the routes are much
easier to learn but you have to prove yourself competent, I have seen many
drivers driving solo that I wouldn't trust with a passenger train. As a
father whose kids enjoy riding behind miniature locos, I would want to know
that the driver is competent at what he is doing. My local club, the Sutton
Coldfield MES, has in place a driver competence assessment, not difficult
but you have to show you know what to do if something goes wrong, not just
how to drive in circles. Many of you have been to the SVR, our drivers there
have a rules/procedure/loco exam that's lasts 3hrs followed by at least 2
practical exams on all aspects from prepping, driving to finally disposing
so you see, we have it easy in the small gauges.

Climbing down off my soapbox now,

Dave.