[modeleng] Re: Driver training (was Accidents)

  • From: "Dave Beaman" <davebeaman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 23:02:47 +0100

Of course the 12" stuff is more dangerous than our hobby. Can I just say a
gauge, not much bigger than ours has had drivers killed. The RHDR may be
bigger than most of us but not a lot all in all. I am not going to go into
the where-with-what-ever but the fact remains, steam engines can do damage
no matter what gauge. My Sweet Pea derailed on a 1/4 dia stick, dug in and
threw me over the top. Ok I wasn't hanging around and not hauling passengers
but it dug in and threw me. £15 repairs, how much if I was hauling
passengers? Work it out for yourself, 5 adults, 12stone apiece, a couple of
kids, negligible weight really, going down a 1 in 90 bank, as per a few
tracks I know, what weight is behind you, what braking force have you on
your truck and if a child runs out, what chance have you got? A 7 1/4 loco
hauling would never stop. I could bang on for pages about the pitfalls, The
SVR, you can't walk around the loco anymore, Not allowed to give footplate
rides anymore (unless exceptional circumstances so I'm told). At the end of
the day, Brussels is dictating my 12" safety, the rest of Europe are takin
no notice but whatever! When it comes down to our miniature locos, The
boiler ticket says it all. Remember a full sized boiler is tested every 10
years and that's a riveted construction. We are owner drivers!!! Do we want
to damage our engine?.... I think not, we got to fix it! As for the CRB bit
for drivers, Now Am I missing summat here? Driver me (Already crb checked
anyway) is looking forward for the signals, the road etc, can't see naff all
behind me...
Ok I got to get off this soapbox, I get vertigo!!
Dave.