[lit-ideas] Re: Muhammed and the Giant Peach

  • From: "Veronica Caley" <vcaley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2006 10:40:00 -0500

Judy:
I'm not saying people should not (e.g.) tell Muslims
that they believe in freedom of speech

What good is the belief if it can't be practiced because someone threatens
your life, your embassy, etc.

Judy: One defends free speech by
defending it.

Sorry, I disagree.  One defends it by practicing it.

Judy:I trust you blame the City of Detroit more than you
blame the imam.

I blame them both.  Neither one of them likes or respects the first
amendment to the US Constitution.
And Detroit is a poverty stricken city which can't afford to pay people for
violating their rights.

Judy:but religion was not admitted
into politics.

You are very fortunate.  My Congressional representative  campaigned on
Catholic values.  These include no birth control, no morning after pill
even for 25,000 per year rape victims and getting women back in the home.
He subscribes to the belief that women are responsible for the loss of
moral values in the US
due to the invention of the birth control pill.  He won, 2:1.  So you see,
people here cannot be so calm about any religious issue, not just Muslim
fanatics.

Judy:I think you mean Jewish people -- and others -- don't
voice their outrage in the way that Muslims are doing
now. I hope that continues to be the case.

No, I would be just as upset by anyone voicing their outrage the way
Muslims have reacted to this cartoon issue.  My reference was to the mild
reaction of non-Jews to these goings on in the Muslim world.  And the great
understanding for the suicide bombers.  That is until the intifada went
global.
Yes, I know.  Disapproval was expressed in responsible publications and no,
I did not want Westerners to get out on the street and burn buildings.
But, just for an example, why weren't people demanding a stop to
Palestinian aid when they knew Arafat was one of the people behind it and
financing it?  And why was Hezbollah acceptable in the great country of
Canada until Jewish groups protested it?

Judy:A group calling itself Action Against Anti-Semitism
marched into the Statesman's offices, demanding a
printed apology. One eventually followed.

What good are apologies when they are demanded?

This morning a newspaper in the Ukraine reprinted the offending cartoon.
Are they trying to bring on a clash of civilizations?  Or a clash a values?
Or are they insisting that in Europe, European values will prevail,
regardless of the consequences?

I stand with the article by Hitchens and the Globe and Mail posted here
previously.

Veronica

photo http://uk.photos.yahoo.com